Sunday, December 9, 2012

What Happens When a PCVs Computer Dies?

The answer to this can vary and it depends on how much the PCV relies on her computer.  For me, it meant no blog posts for 4 months and using the internet/skyping through my old iPhone.  Also, stir-craziness and crafting can, and did, increase. Ends up you can make pretty cute boxy things out of toilet paper rolls! My computer is my connection to the world outside of Guyana.  It's how I keep in touch with people at home and (somewhat obsessively) plan for post-Peace Corps, from looking at grad-schools to planning out my backpacking trip at the very end.  I have a lot of free time and my computer allows me to watch movies and re-watch TV shows from home.  It helps make time go a little faster and keep craziness at bay.

Now, to play catch-up.  School started again in September and is not winding down for the Christmas vacation.  Guyana celebrated Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights. I spent the night going to different neighbors, visiting, and helping to light Diyas, small bowls filled with oil that are lit to signify the triumph of good over evil.  People put, generally, somewhere over 100 of these around their homes and let them burn all night.  At first this seemed a little dangerous since most homes are made of wood, but, at least in my community, all was fine!

In the days leading up to and the day of, people were setting off fireworks, little bomb things, and sparklers.  The fireworks and sparklers were fun, but the bomb things startled me every time! I went for a walk with two of my neighbors Diwali night and swear I almost got hit with the stupid things!
It was really a fun night and the Diyas all around were beautiful.  And we had a blackout for a few hours, so they also provided light.



Other than that, I don't think too much has happened in the last few months. I've settled into a routine that just isn't exciting enough to write about.   I just returned from a visit home, but there will be more to come on that later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment