Friday, June 10, 2011

Un-nominated? Please, no!

Due to a major miscommunication, I had a minor freakout last night.  I had been planning to go to bed early since all of this is keeping me up at night thinking rather than sleeping.  I'm so glad I stayed up.  I had emailed my recruiter (?) earlier in the day to inform her that I needed to change my availability.  I was no longer going to be available to depart as late as June, 2012 and needed to change the month to May, 2012 for my latest departure date.  This is because if I am invited to serve I want to return to home in time to start school the next fall.  Unfortunately there was some confusion over this.

She thought I would no longer be able to leave in February, that I couldn't leave until May.  So, freaked when I received an email saying that she would email Washington to start the un-nomination process!!!! Bring on the panic attack!!! I'm really happy with everything about my nomination and definitely don't want to loose it, though I do realize that if I'm invited it might change anyway.  I immediately emailed her back explaining that I can leave in February and crossed my fingers she would get the email in time.  I also called a couple times and ended up leaving a message.  By that point in was about midnight here and I knew I wasn't going to sleep until I knew what was going on.  Luckily, my message reached her in time to halt the un-nomination process. So relieved!

Anyway, not everything is back on track, thankfully.  I'm waiting to receive the medical packet so I'll start in on that soon.  I'm hoping it reaches me sometime next week.  I found out there is an international clinic not to far from here where all the doctors speak English, so that took some stress off.  I had a bunch of medical tests when I arrived in South Korea last year and I was fine, so I'm hoping nothing has changed.

So far, the waiting has been that hardest part.  Patience is a virtue I need to cultivate.  Playing the waiting game for the next several months is going to be really hard!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say good luck with your application process. I applied while living in Korea too, and am leaving for Tanzania on Monday. I don't know where you are, but if you're in Seoul, I highly recommend Dr. Youk Jin Yoo at Seoul National University Hospital. He's definitely experienced with Peace Corps medical packets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your comment on my blog. Glad to see others who are applying from Korea. Glad you got the confusion sorted out! I'm anxiously awaiting my nomination. Good luck with everything. :)

    ReplyDelete