Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Added Stress

I've been going through the application process from South Korea.  This hasn't really added any stress or been a problem at all until now.  Now I'm into the medical part of the application.  I was nominated last week and had high hopes of receiving my medical kit in the mail this week and getting to the clinic on Saturday.  No such luck.

I had an email from the medical office yesterday (Tuesday in the US, Wednesday here) asking me to verify my address.  So, definitely not getting the kit this week. Hopefully next week.  Not really a big deal.  Except that there are few places I can go here that have English speaking doctors and are open on Saturday's, the only day I can go.  The one place that I can go is in Seoul and was a hospital with an international clinic. Perfect! Except, I come to find out, the family medicine doctor, the one I need to see, only works every-other Saturday.  Know what Saturday he works? That's right, he works this Saturday.

So, unless I can find another English speaking doctor, I have to wait 2 weeks.  The other problem is that I could have gotten everything done at that clinic in one day for not that much money.  There is another English-speaking family doctor near by, but he's sure to be more expensive and that would be going to different places for every part of the kit: the physical, the gyno, and the dentist and all for more money. Or I can wait and not finish this thing for several weeks, which may be what I do.  The problem with that is that I would have to go to the clinic 2 Saturday's in a row and I was planning to be out of town every-other weekend next month, so it would really push back when I could finish everything.  I'm glad I'm in Korea, except that doing this from home would be sooo much easier!

I'm just going to look at this as an exercise in patience.  It will all work out eventually anyway.  I like to get things done right away, but I'm going to roll with the flow on this.  I'm flexible with a lot of things, but when I feel like something is under my control, that it's something I can or should be able to get done, I like to get it done and out of the way.  Move forward.

Lesson learned: become fluent in the language so I can go see whatever doctor is around. Anyway, it looks like I'll be working on this for a while and I'm going to try not to stress too much about it.  Once this is done I will (hopefully) move on to the next step.  Fingers-crossed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennie,
    Saw your post and thought I'd offer up this suggestion: the BlueCross/BlueShield website has a place (buried, you'll have to hunt for it) where they list doctors/clinics for their international travelers. Maybe you could find an MD that speaks English using that site? Also, I have found that in some places, those docs are associated with the U.S. Embassies, so call the Embassy!

    ReplyDelete